Wheatgrass is prepared from the cotyledons of the common wheat plant, Triticum aestivum. Wheatgrass is a potent food which provides chlorophyll, amino acids, minerals, vitamins & enzymes. Wheatgrass is usually sold as a juice, in a tablet, frozen or as a concentrated powder and is often available in juice bars, alone or in mixed fruit or vegetable drinks. It is possible and quite simple to grow and juice wheatgrass at home. Wheatgrass contains no wheat gluten. Claims about the health benefits of wheatgrass range from providing supplemental nutrition to having unique curative properties, though few if any have been scientifically proven.
Some of the superior qualities of wheatgrass and the juice that can be extracted from it include the following:
- Increases red blood-cell count & lowers blood pressure. It cleanses the blood, organs and gastrointestinal tract of debris. Wheatgrass also stimulates metabolism and the body’s enzyme systems by enriching the blood. It reduces blood pressure by dilating the blood pathways throughout the body.
- Stimulates the thyroid gland, correcting obesity, indigestion, and a host of other complaints.
- Restores alkalinity to the blood. The juice’s abundance of alkaline minerals helps reduce over-acidity in the blood. It can be used to relieve many internal pains, and has been used successfully to treat peptic ulcers, ulcerative colitis, constipation, diarrhea, and other complaints of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Is a powerful detoxifier, and liver and blood protector. The enzymes and amino acids found in wheatgrass can protect us from carcinogens like no other food or medicine. It strengthens our cells, detoxifies the liver and bloodstream, and chemically neutralizes environmental pollutants.
- Fights tumors and neutralizes toxins. Recent studies show that wheatgrass juice has a powerful ability to fight tumors without the usual toxicity of drugs that also inhibit cell-destroying agents. The many active compounds found in grass juice cleanse the blood and neutralize and digest toxins in our cells.
- Contains beneficial enzymes. Whether you have a cut finger you want to heal or you are trying to lose weight, enzymes do the actual work. The life and abilities of the enzymes found in our bodies can be extended if we help them from the outside by adding exogenous enzymes, like the ones found in wheatgrass juice. However, we can only get the benefits of the many enzymes found in wheatgrass by eating it uncooked. Cooking destroys 100 percent of the enzymes in food.
- Has remarkable similarity to our own blood. The second important nutritional aspect of chlorophyll is its remarkable similarity to hemoglobin, the compound that carries oxygen in the blood. Dr. Yoshihide Hagiwara, president of the Hagiwara Institute of Health in Japan, reasons that since chlorophyll is soluble in fat particles, and fat particles are absorbed directly into the blood via the lymphatic system, that chlorophyll can also be absorbed in this way. In other words, when the “blood” of plants is absorbed in humans it is transformed into human blood, which transports nutrients to every cell in the body.
- Soothes Cuts, Burns, Scrapes, Rashes, Poison Ivy, Insect Bites, Itchy & Sunburned Skin AND Mends damaged hair. Apply directly to the skin to eliminate itching almost immediately. Rub into the scalp before shampoo to mend damaged hair and alleviate itchy, scaly, scalp conditions.
- Works as a sleep aide. Merely place a tray of living wheatgrass near the head of your bed. It will enhance the oxygen in the air and generate healthful negative ions to help you sleep more soundly.
- Sweetens the breath and firms up and tightens gums. Gargle with the juice.
- Neutralizes toxic substances like cadmium, nicotine, strontium, mercury, and polyvinyl chloride.
- Offers the benefits of a liquid oxygen transfusion, since the juice contains liquid oxygen. Oxygen is vital to many body processes: it stimulates digestion (the oxidation of food), promotes clearer thinking (the brain utilizes 25% of the body’s oxygen supply), and protects the blood against anaerobic bacteria. Cancer cells cannot exist in the presence of oxygen.
- Turns gray hair to its natural color again and greatly increases energy levels when consumed daily.
- Is a beauty treatment that slows down the aging process, restores fertility and promotes youthfulness. When the juice is consumed, wheatgrass will cleanse your blood and help rejuvenate aging cells, slowing the aging process way down, making you feel more alive right away. It has also been efficient in tightening loose & sagging skin.
- Lessens the effects of radiation. An enzyme found in wheatgrass, SOD, lessens the effects of radiation and acts as an anti-inflammatory compound that may prevent cellular damage following heart attacks or exposure to irritants.